Monday, September 19, 2011

Sculpture Walk

“Hey Marylou Blindside”
By:  Lee Leuning and Sherri Treeby
When I first approached this sculpture I made me think of the movie “Rudy”. The old fashioned helmets looked a lot like the ones they wore in the movie. I get a playful energy from the sculpture. I like that the boys look happy and that they look like they are having fun. The sculpture is made out of steal and that ads an antique look to it which is perfect considering the artist was obviously going for an older look by the look of the boys clothes and the old football helmets that they used to use. The sculpture has a strong frontal presentation. It is very obvious to tell what it is trying to portray. I do not like the back portion of the sculpture though. If one was just to look at the back side they would have no idea what the sculpture was of. All the focus points are towards the front including the football, and both of their faces are turned to the front. The angle from the side of the sculpture is nice, one can tell what the sculpture is about but there is no doubt the best way to look at the sculpture is from the front.  I also do not like that it is difficult to tell from the sculpture what the artist is trying to portray. It could be a broad range of subjects but to me the artist is trying to portray an American tradition. Football has been around for many years and Americans love the sport. The sculpture is an attempt to show people how fun the sport really was back then and how much people really enjoyed playing it. The sculpture also interacts with the viewer well. It seems very realistic. From the creases in their pants to their smile lines they have very distinct looks.

“Raptuous Arcs”
By: Gregory Mendez
This sculpture caught my eye right away. I like that it’s a woman first off but that she looks free and almost liberated. She does not have a care in the world. I get a sense of her feeling happy from looking at the sculpture. Even though her face is not made out her body language says a lot. The material the artist used was steel rods which were perfect because even though it did not show a lot of detail it did not need to. It makes a big enough statement on its own without needing all the extra detail and I think that the extra detail would actually take away from the sculpture. I really did not have any dislikes about this piece. I really appreciated the image that the sculpture was trying to portray and he did a very nice job of it. He is trying to show that women are strong beings and that they are free spirited individuals that can take on anything. The sculpture has a strong frontal view but also the viewer can at least tell what the sculpture is of from the back and side views as well.

“Bringing on the Heat”
By: Gregory Johnson
This sculpture caught my eye because I do not know very much about soccer so I figured it would be challenging to try and figure out what the artist was trying to portray through the sculpture. I like how the artist used a different type of material for the soccer ball. That way the soccer ball become the focus point I did not really like that the ball was reflective though because at times due to the sun it was kind of hard to tell what sport the ball was from. The artist used a bronze material which I really did like because it shows a lot of detail which I think is needed for this sculpture to really grasp what the artist is trying to get across to the viewer. I do not like the face expression on the face of the boy without the ball. He is obviously trying to get the ball so his face should look more intense and into the game. I also dislike the hand placement of both the boys left hands. They look awkward and almost nonrealistic. The artist is trying to show the competitiveness is sports and the enjoyment young kids get from playing sports. Sports also teach young people a lot of lessons about life. The viewer can tell all of this from the frontal and side views but by looking at it from the back its impossible to analyze what the sculpture is all about.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You spent some considerable time reflecting upon these sculptures. Excellent job here.

    ReplyDelete